9.28.2006

MAIZE DAY!!!
Justin and I spent last Saturday at the Big House watching Michigan beat Wisconsin in football. It was packed and very loud. The game was awesome and it was great spending time with Justin after a long week of not seeing him at all.




I started last week at Hudsonville Public Schools doing my field placement and think I am really going to enjoy my time there. I love the kids, my instructor, and other faculty. I am learning a ton and doing a lot of testings for kids who are "At Risk." Most of the tests are academic or ADD. I am learning that ADD is very OVERdiagnosed to kids, especially elementary kids.



I am beginning to wonder if the kids that are brought up as "At Risk" by teachers are really being brought up because of the student's best interest or for the teacher's best interest? The kids we see are disruptive in class with their behavior and are doing poorly academically. We are seeing that the reasons they can't focus has nothing to do with ADD but rather the fact that they can't focus. Should these kids be put in "special" classrooms or places just because they are behind their peers by a few IQ points or is it best to keep the child in the classroom? Teachers seem to say, "get them out" (mainly because it is easier for them and the students to learn), but I am seeing that some of these kids may be hurt more in the long run, especially socially by taking them out. Interesting to think about.

Justin and I are trying to figure out our schedules. He works mainly mornings and nights, while I work mostly mornings and days. That leaves very little time for us to spend together. Between YL, church activities, sporting events, and other things that come up during the week, that leaves little Justin and Dawn time. We cherish every moment of time together. God continues to be faithful to us and showers us with love and support. We feel so blessed by our community and friends. Our apartment is now beginning to feel more like home and we love it. God is good!!

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Dawn,
So good to hear you guys are settling...I've been praying for your schedules and hope that the little time ya'll get together is refreshing and energizing. Hey, will you post some pictures of your apartment? I'd love to see it!
Love and miss you,
Lindz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home