11.09.2006



First of all, if you haven't seen the show, "The Office" on Thursday nights, you are missing out on many laughs. Unfortunately I have to miss it each week because I have class but Justin and I just finished watching Season II and we laughed so hard. Some of the comments are crude, but if you can picture yourself actually working in a setting of this sort, it will become much more real to you. My favorite character is Dwight Schrute (the Assistant to the Manager) and Justin loves Jim (the office prankster). It has been a great way for us to just relax together and laugh. Laughter is good for the soul.


SOOOOO, after today's class and elections I have been presented with yes, another moment of confusion, which I would appreciate feedback to from anyone who is interested. We had a guest speaker come in today to talk about Gay, Lesbian, Transexual, Transgender, Bisexual, and Queer issues. Overall the exercises and thoughts were very mind provoking and caused me to think deeply about these issues.

He made a comment though that really hit me. He talked about how a Senator who was just elected on Tuesday will probably be bringing forth a proposal to allow Gay Marriage within the state of Michigan. At first my thoughts were, "oh no, I can't even imagine how this is going to go over." After much discussion from both sides, here I sit confused.

Do people in this country have a freedom to marry who they want and recieve the full benefits? I would answer yes.
Why do I mostly disagree with this idea? It hits me as more of a faith issue
Because most gay people agree to choosing this lifestyle and I, like them, have chosen to marry a man, does that change my reflection to this proposal? It does for me.
Where do we draw the line in telling people what they can and can't do? Not sure.

I agree that a Gay couple can raise a family just as well as Justin and I could. Is it fair that partners who have been together for 20 years can't have the same rights as a married couple in the state of Michigan?

Like I said....so many factors play into this but here I sit, struggling over this issue.

He also talked about how people may be born with certain body genitalia but choose to be both. People with this "issue" call themselves, Bi-Gender. We won't get into this issue.

2 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Blogger calebyoungblood said...

I agree with Scott! He says it very well, as I would expect from Mr. Pontier!

But it is confusing. Dawn, remember the mystery thing...It always gets people, huh?

I am glad to hear your thoughts!

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fan of Stanley and Creed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home